(This is traditionally made with sea-bass (corvina in Spanish) or other white fish but prawns can be substituted.)
2lb. raw sea-bass or firm white fish fillet or shelled prawns
2 tsp. salt
1small onion finely chopped
2 cups lime juice
1 green chilli
iceberg lettuce leaves
- Thinly slice or finely chop the fish, carefully removing any bones that may remain.
- Put the chopped fish into a glass bowl.
- Add the salt and mix well.
- Leave to cool for 15 minutes in the fridge.
- Add the onion and lime juice and mix well.
- Remove the seeds from the chilli and chop finely.
- Add to the fish.
- Cover the bowl and leave to sit overnight in the fridge.
- Line cups or sundae glasses with whole iceberg lettuce leaves.
- Fill cups with the chilled mixture and serve with saltine crackers.