120g/¼ lb unsalted butter
130g/¼ lb golden caster sugar
¾ tsp sea salt
90ml/3 fl.oz double cream
Ice cream mixture
- Put the butter, sugar, salt and 2 tbsp water in a medium saucepan
- Simmer over a medium to low heat for 8–10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture changes colour from pale straw to golden, and appears condensed.
- Remove the pan from the heat
- Stir in the cream, taking care as it may splutter.
- Pour the caramel into a large bowl
- Cover and leave to cool for 30 minutes.
- Make the ice cream
- Add the caramel
- With a large metal spoon fold the two together.
- Cover the bowl with clingfilm and leave to cool.
- Transfer it to a plastic container
- Seal and freeze.
- If the mixture has frozen solid, take it out of the freezer 20 minutes before serving to allow it to soften.
- Serve in scoops with some dessert biscuits.