200g basmati rice
2 small onions (sliced thinly)
½ tsp turmeric powder
1” stick cinnamon
6 Green cardamons
2 green chillies, whole
oil for frying
1 stock cube (Chicken or vegetable)
Salt to taste
- Put the rice in a large bowl
- Cover generously with cold water
- Leave to soak for at least an hour – a good soak ensures separate grains rather than a solid ‘lump’ of rice
- Heat oil in a broad pan
- Fry the sliced onions slowly till golden brown.
- Add the cloves, cinnamon, cardamoms, green chillies, stock cube and turmeric powder.
- Add the rice and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the water
- Cook on a low heat till rice is done.