4 lb. potatoes
250g/½ lb. Pancetta or smoked bacon, cut in lardons
2 onions, finely chopped or sliced
1 whole Reblochon cheese (500g/1lb) (or grated Emmental)
2 cups crème fraîche
2 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. olive oil
- Slice the potatoes thinly
- Boil the sliced potatoes for about 5 minutes.
- Sauté the onions in half the butter and the oil until soft.
- Slice or chop the bacon.
- Add the cut bacon and fry for 5 minutes more.
- Grease a gratin dish with the remaining butter.
- Put a layer of sliced potatoes on the bottom.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the cooked onions and bacon on top.
- Pour half the crème fraîche on top.
- Cut the Reblochon in half horizontally.
- Place one half of the Reblochon cut side down on top of the mixture. (Emmental should be grated over.)
- Add another layer of potatoes.
- Season again.
- Pour the remaining crème fraîche on top.
- Put the remaining half of the Reblochon on top cut side down.
- Sprinkle the nutmeg over.