4 tbsp vegetable oil
½ cinnamon stick
1 tsp fennel seeds
8 curry leaves
2 large onions, chopped
1½ tsp chopped garlic
10 dried whole red chillies, crushed
3 tbsp toasted coriander seeds, crushed
½ tsp ground turmeric
8-10 baby aubergines, cut into 4 lengthways
3 medium potatoes, cut into wedges
400ml can coconut milk
1 large tomato, cut into wedges
2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- Heat the oil in a frying pan
- Add the cinnamon stick, fennel seeds and curry leaves, cooking until fragrant.
- Add the onion and garlic
- Fry until golden
- Add the crushed chilli, turmeric and coriander.
- Cook for a minute
- Add the aubergines and potatoes, frying until the aubergines have softened.
- Add the coconut milk, tomato and 100ml water
- Simmer for around 20 minutes until the vegetables are cooked through.
- When the sauce thickens, remove from the heat
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves