8 pieces chicken, skinned
salt and pepper
¼ cup flour
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 cup dry white wine
1 400gm can chopped tomatoes
1 bouillon cube
1 tsp dried thyme
300g/12 oz mushrooms, washed, dried and sliced
1 tbsp Cognac (optional)
1 tbsp fresh parley, chopped
- Sprinkle the skinned poultry with salt and pepper
- Dredge in the flour.
- Melt the butter with the olive oil in a heavy skillet on medium heat
- Gradually add the chicken pieces.
- Brown the pieces on all sides
- Remove from the skillet.
- When all the pieces have been browned, add the onions and garlic to the skillet
- Cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Add the white wine and scrape any bits on the bottom and sides of the skillet into the wine.
- Add the tomatoes, bouillon cube, and dried thyme, then the browned chicken pieces.
- Cover the skillet and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and continue cooking for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the Cognac 5 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
- Stir in the chopped herb just before serving.
- Serve with rice or potatoes, or indeed on some grilled bread topped with a fried egg!