3 cups grains – any of rolled oats (OK on its own), rye, barley, spelt, wheat germ/bran
1 – 1½ cups nuts – pecan, brazil, whole almonds, pistachio, walnut, hazel, etc.
1 – 2 cups seeds – sunflower, sesame, pumpkin, flax, millet, etc.
1 cup flaked coconut (optional)
1 tsp spices – ground cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, etc.
¼ – ½ cup sunflower oil
½ – ¾ cup sweetener – maple syrup, honey, brown rice syrup
¼ – ½ cup brown sugar (optional)
1 tsp Maldon or kosher salt (optional)
1 cup dried fruit – raisins, dried cherries, cranberries, apricots, figs, pineapple, etc.
¼ cup cocoa or 1 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Chop any large nuts (e.g. brazils or walnuts) and large fruit (e.g. apricots) into bite-sized pieces
- Put the grains, nuts, seeds and coconut (if using) in a large bowl.
- Mix together well
- Mix in the spices trying to coat everything
- Add the oil and sweetener
- Mix everything thoroughly
- Spread this mixture out on a large roasting tin
- Bake in the oven pre-heated to 170°C for about 40 minutes, turning over about halfway through baking and re-distributing the granola evenly during the baking process
- Once baked, allow to cool
- Mix in the fruit and chocolate chips if using
- Store in an airtight container.