250g/½lb medium-sized chestnut mushrooms
(Or 6 lamb’s kidneys)
1 tbsp. dry English mustard
1 tbsp. mushroom ketchup
1 tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
few drops Tabasco sauce
2 oz. unsalted butter
olive oil for frying
- If using mushrooms, clean with a damp piece of kitchen paper and remove the stalks
- If using kidneys skin them and cut them in quarters, cutting away the visible white fingery bits inside. (This is easier if they are part frozen).
- Heat the oil in a frying pan.
- Fry the mushrooms/kidneys for a few minutes, turning frequently.
- Remove to a plate
- Add the mushroom ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco and mustard to the pan juices.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Add the butter and mix in as it melts
- Return the mushrooms/kidneys to the pan
- Serve hot on toasted sodabread