(This can be done on a barbecue or works just as well in the oven following the same heat pattern)
50g butter, melted
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp coriander
2 tsp paprika
1 tbsp thyme leaves
3 garlic cloves, crushed
zest and juice 1 lemon
1 tsp harissa
2½ kg leg of lamb, butterflied
For the sauce
1 tsp harissa
handful fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
300g Greek yogurt
- Mix the butter and oil in a bowl
- Stir in the spices, thyme, garlic, lemon zest and juice.
- Add the harissa, 1 tsp salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper
- Mix well.
- Put the butterflied lamb in a large shallow dish
- Spoon over the marinade.
- Using your hands, rub it all over the meat.
- Cover loosely with foil or cling film
- Leave to marinate for at least 2 hrs, or overnight in the fridge.
- Light the barbecue, adding plenty of coals.
- When it is ready, add the lamb, fat-side down, and cook on a fairly high heat for 5 mins until well browned.
- Turn over and cook for another 5 mins to brown the other side.
- Move the coals to the sides of the barbecue to reduce the heat under the meat and cook more gently for 30-40 mins, turning occasionally. This timing will give you pink meat.
- Remove the meat to a large board and cover tightly with foil. Leave to rest for 10-15 mins.
- For the sauce, fold the harissa, a little salt and the coriander into the yogurt.
- Cut the lamb into thick slices
- Serve with the sauce and couscous or as part of a feast.