2 red onions, chopped
3 garlic cloves
small knob fresh root ginger, peeled
100ml/3½ fl oz lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
100ml/3½ fl oz olive oil
1 tbsp. honey
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp turmeric
1 tsp hot chilli powder
handful fresh coriander, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
3 carrots, cut into chunks
3 large parsnips, cut into chunks
3 red onions, cut into chunks
2 large potatoes, cut into chunks
4 leeks, ends trimmed and cut into chunks
12 dried prunes, dates or figs
2 sprigs mint, leaves only, finely chopped
- Whizz chermoula paste ingredients in a blender.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan.
- Tip some of the vegetables into the pan
- Cook until lightly browned, about 7 mins
- When ready, tip into a heatproof casserole
- Fry the rest of the vegetables in batches in the same way.
- When all the vegetables are in the casserole, add the chermoula paste, dried fruit and water.
- Cover with a lid ( a sheet of foil will do)
- Cook in the oven preheated to 220°C for 45 mins.
- Reduce heat to 180°C and cook for another 45 mins.
- Sprinkle with the mint.
- Serve on its own or with couscous or crusty bread, or as part of a feast.